Monday, September 24, 2007

No Wondering where you are

Unlike others who blog I am not looking for anyone to inform me that they are out there. I am going to bring the hard truth. Math classes are getting better and I am happy to report that the effort in the homework and class participation is up from this time last year. I see other students raising the bar. Just today on my way out of class one students came out of a Geometry lesson wanting more and asked if we could do math during silent reading. We need to have silent reading, and we can use it for math reading. I will be incorporating more reading of real world applications of math. That time can be used for reading anything you like or is your favorite subject. So respect your brain and the small about of time you get to be creative. I will leave you with this, one student said to me last year reading is much more fun than a movie. I asked why and she said because a movie and a tv show is what someone wants you to see, but a book takes imagination and can be anything you want it to be. In many ways math can be like that too.

3 comments:

paul said...

It is obvious what REALLY happened to your goldfish!!!

LauraR. said...

I agree. I feel that reading works your mind and helps you to become more skillfull in other areas of our everyday life. It is also important if you want to just get away from the world. Reading takes you some place else. It brings you away from your everyday problems and puts you someplace else. It is almost like 'walking in someone elses shows.' The other day in SSR, I was so caught up my book that I didn't want to stop reading. I ended up finishing my page and being the last one to leave the room even though my seat was the closest to the door. I belive reading is a very good skill and I am happy the school is enforcing it throughout the school.

Drew said...

I agree with Laurar you inhance it more in your brian from reading a book than the t.v. Math and history books are boaring. The mystories, crimes and science books are my favorite. Mr.Grasso whats your favorite book?